Being a great fan of Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam I’ve always been inspired by him. I’m one of those lucky ones who had the golden opportunity to meet him in person when I was in 9th grade. I was ignited by his thoughts and views and I thought Vision 2020 was the best action plan we could have for our beloved country- INDIA. But then today while I was writing this post my Dad happened to have a look at what I was up to. He asked me what my vision for India was. I said all the great things that I had read from Dr. Kalam and the Planning Commission Report –India Vision 2020. My dad casually asked me, “Why does India need so many visions when India is so much self-sufficient? Don’t you think it’s our vision to be a super-power or to be a richer nation which is reducing Her power? “These 2 questions triggered my thoughts. So I decided to voice it out through this post.
India, our motherland, has given us a lot to be proud of and we all take pride in being Indians but how many of us would refuse a chance to go to a country like the USA or UK or Australia? We even consider a job or higher education in China, Japan or Singapore as a great achievement. So are we really proud of India? So all these visions are to make us Indians feel proud about our country. I too agree to it but I doubt whether the vision we are working towards will help in making us proud. We will be proud to see people in US and UK queuing up to grab opportunities to work or study in India. We will be proud to see people migrating to India just as we are doing today to their countries. We will be proud to see people copying India and its culture like we are doing their’s. But for all these visions to become a reality we’ll have to search within India. We’ll have to know our own strengths instead of searching for more weaknesses. India has given its contributions in almost fields.
- In literature –Vedas, Epics and so many more.
- In medicine- Ayurveda.
- In Astronomy – Aryabhatta and his contributions.
- In Education – We’ve had world class universities like Nalanda and Takshahila.
India’s contribution to Science & Technology is so enormous that this post won’t be enough.
A few thoughts:
- Vegetation: India is blessed with such wonderful climate, landscape and vegetation that we don’t really need to depend on any other country. But for this we should know how to use our resources. Instead of doing so we bring in alien species because of our greed to get more yield. These alien species kill our indigenous trees and plants. So let’s bring our traditional vegetation back to India .
- Education: In Malayalam we’ve a famous saying- “Vidya Dhanam Sarva Dhanal Pradhanam “(Education is the supreme wealth). But we use this wealth to earn the wealth which we compare with the US Dollars!! When we’ve the wealth of knowledge we should not be worried about monetary benefits. We should learn more about the knowledge we get from our surroundings. We’re so much absorbed in learning what the Westerners have invented that we don’t have time left to learn about the discoveries made in India by our ancestors. It’s a fact that those inventions are beneficial to the west while it could create more curses than boons in our land. Let us learn about our past inventions and give our contributions to our country. Then even the rest of the world will accept us.
- Culture: India can be proud of a great culture. Respect to elders, Spirituality in depth, humane and family values are all taught to us by this wonderful culture. But we proud Indians are more bothered about copying the western culture. We feel it’s superior. I don’t believe in debating which culture is supreme but in my opinion their culture is suitable for the west while our culture will help in improving the conditions in our country. To help India become the India of our dreams lets learn, understand and practice our Indian Culture.
- Rivers: Our land is blessed with great rivers like Ganga, Yamuna etc. The Ganges has the unique capability to preserve materials thrown into it without decaying. This is due to the presence of unique bacteria in the river which forms a coating on the substances present in the river. But we’re just interested in ruining this sacred river. We’ve filled the river with sewage, carcasses, industrial wastes and what not to pollute the river! We’ve tried to tame the river for our own benefits. Eventually our mightiest river is on the verge of death! The condition is not different with most of the other rivers in our country. Let’s resolve and work to save our rivers.
Life in India can be bettered only by living it as Indians and not as Americans or Europeans or the Chinese. India is a wonderful land which gives its population everything needed for a good life. But it all depends on how each individual defines a ‘good life’. We are so much interested in acquiring US Dollars that we don’t even bother what is happening to our motherland because of Her children’s greed. The rivers, vegetation, culture, terrain and everything Indian has to be preserved. If we live as Indians we can even contribute to the world by emitting least Greenhouse gases; by contributing to science and technology; by increasing the green cover on earth. The world started looking down upon us when we ceased to be Indian. You’ll all remember that our country was the one which was attacked and conquered by almost all the civilizations of the world. It only shows that India had the capability to attract everyone from around the world so much that the various conquerors were competing to call India its own!! And we fools think our culture and land is inferior! We talk about all sorts of methods to improve our country by 2020. But does improvement mean being like America?? India was never like America when it was so sought after by the whole world. Reaching the moon using American technologies or making missiles or buying foreign fighter planes are not real achievements. Why use a foreign technology when our country has had great Sages who’ve enlightened us with all sorts of discoveries thousands of years before the westerners could even think of such a thing!
Don’t you think we should have a change in the education system? We spend almost all years of our education to study what the westerners have discovered or invented. After all these years of by-hearting we don’t get any time for innovations of our own. We should revive our Indian history. We’ve never learnt the true history of our country in any book we studied. We know only what the westerners told us and we blindly believe that we are inferior! How have we lost the inquisitiveness which our great ancestors had? It was this curiosity which was the driving force which led to so many great discoveries.
India is a great country and our country needs us-Her own children. So my vision 2020 is: MAKE INDIA THE TRUE INDIA. Let’s all work for the achievement of this goal.
Please drop in your comments. J